09 November 2016

35 by 35 #22-27. One shawl, three skirts, one bonnet, and butterfly wings.



This post is about clothes.



22. Shawl.
I used the instructions here.
The wool of which I made it is called tricotene, which -I was surprised to learn- is unrelated to tricot: it is 100% wool, just nice lightweight material that would make a great skirt.
New technique: fringed edges.
I had a hard time finding affordable purple wool and settled for a beige plaid with some lavender in it. Time to start studying dyestuffs.

23. Insta-skirt.
I used the instructions here for a petticoat, and ran elastic through the top instead of making a waistband. (See here for instant elastic-waist skirts.)
New experience: finishing a skirt in one afternoon. Yay!
I didn’t think it would come out like much, with all that yardage bunched at the waist (the skirt is just a 72”-long rectangle scrunched at the top), but it actually looks quite formal and pretty on Loops.

This was so straightforward to make that I went on to a

24. Not quite as insta-skirt.
A six-gore skirt made to measure.
Lesson learned: To make a gored elastic-waist skirt, it should taper, not toward the waist circumference, but toward the widest circumference it will have to clear, which is the hips, even on small children.

25. Bonnet.
A hand-sewing project, since it is child-sized and therefore consists entirely of miniscule curves.

26. Circle skirt.
This is Loops’ favorite of the lot. Circle skirts have a wonderful swish factor because of the angle at which they are cut; but, to my surprise, this used up only about the same amount of fabric as the straight-cut skirts, so I expect we will be seeing more of these.

27. Butterfly wings.
I wish I could say Loops asked for these and I made them to suit; but no, this was the grown-up of the family deciding that the child needed a pair of translucent rainbow wings.
Loops good-naturedly agreed with me.
Tutorial to follow… if the hundred other projects do not take precedence.


No comments:

Post a Comment